-
March 29th, 2003, 10:11 AM
#1
Inactive Member
The 515's with your 288's in an 828 cabinet should make a great setup. I have a nice set of plans for the cabinet if you would like to make yourself a pair.
-
March 29th, 2003, 02:57 PM
#2
Inactive Member
The 515-B combined with the 825 cabinet.How low can i expect these to go.Will these woofers work better in a base reflex design.Thank-you Chris.
-
March 29th, 2003, 04:27 PM
#3
Inactive Member
I have a chance to buy a pair of 515-B LF.Could i use these with my 288-8G's.If so what cabinet.What are they worth,mint condition.Thanks for helping me and my novice questions.Regards Chris.
-
March 29th, 2003, 11:32 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Hi Chris,
The 828 or A7 cabinet is a bass reflex cabinet that also has a short horn. I don't know how low it would go with a 515. Maybe WunHuangLo who posts here a lot would know, I believe he has 515's in 828 cabinets.
-
March 30th, 2003, 01:33 AM
#5
Senior Hostboard Member
You can tune them as low as you want, mine are tuned to 16Hz in an EBS alignment, just don't expect much output from them below ~80Hz unless you use at least two/channel like I do.
If used in an 825/828 cab then I recommend either tuning them fairly high to keep midbass efficiency up, ~50Hz, and aperiodically load them to damp the high resonant peak/group delay, or sealing them up and using a basshorn such as the LABhorn or large/efficient EBS aligned sub to handle the <80Hz BW if a lower Fb/wider dynamic range is desired.
If room space is an issue, sealing up the area behind the horn, making a compression chamber, and using the rest of the volume for a 'sub' works well. Ages ago I did this with some 411-8As in A7-500s, though of course drivers other than Altec can work too. Assuming you don't want to lower the effective efficiency of the horns any more than necessary, these will need to be bi-amped since the 'subs' are lower efficiency and need more power to keep up.
Regardless of how you choose to implement them, I've never auditioned a better sounding 15" for mating to an HF horn.
As for what they're worth, I was quoted $156/ea in late '69, and per this site http://inflationdata.com/inflation/I...Calculator.asp there's been a ~410.4% increase since then, or ~$646 in today's dollars. If they are as pristine as mine, this would be my asking price, with the actual sale price being solely dependent on how badly I needed the dollars.
GM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks